Crater Lake

After all the festivities in Portland were over, it was time to return to the trailer and keep the road trip going. So many National Parks to visit, so little time (yes I realize I have a 5 week trip but that isn't enough to hit everything).

10 October: I grabbed a ride to the airport with Jo and Jesse so my mom wouldn't have to drive into the city during rush hour to pick me up. Instead she came to get me at the airport, which was a much easier drive for her. Instantly she tells me about a big storm they had the previous night and that a large tree branch fell on the trailer. I couldn't help thinking, what else could go wrong during this trip. Luckily, after a detailed inspection, I determined the trailer looked fine and there was limited to no damage (thank goodness). The trailer and everything associated with it were covered in mud so we tried to clean things up the best we could and hit the road. It was nice to have a shorter drive to get back into the swing of driving the trailer. It was only about 3.5 hours to get to Klamath Falls KOA and the drive was beautiful. We were able to get great views of Mount Hood from the road and even caught a glimpse of Mount Rainer in the side mirrors. We arrived pretty early to the KOA and spent the night relaxing. My cold was back in full force so it was early to bed so I had plenty of energy for Crater Lake.

Mount Hood from the road

11 October: We took Callie (who is pretty much always with us in the car) and set off for Crater Lake. I had been told it was beautiful and well worth the stop, but I didn't know much else. We were about an hour away from Crater Lake and somehow I again forgot to check my gas level. I knew I had enough gas to make it around the 30 mile rim road, but wasn't sure how far I would get after that. Luckily, there was a gas station right near the entrance, but since it was off season, it was self service. I had no idea until this trip that Oregon still has attendants to pump gas for you. Since I have been pumping my own gas since I was 16, I had no problem and another gas emergency was avoided. 

I have started to make it a priority to find the visitor center quickly upon entering a National Park to get guidance on what to do since I did very little research for each park. The Crater Lake visitor center was easy to find and we enjoyed walking around the little store. They had a 20 minute film about the park that we decided to watch that was very informative. The Lake was created when a volcano blew its top and the mountain caved in, creating the bottom of the lake. After many years, the lake started to form from melted snow and rain and finally it developed into what it is today. The water in the lake is the freshest in the world because it is only supplied by rain and snow. There are no rivers or streams that link to the lake. The video went on to give more details and stories, which only made my mom and I more excited to see the lake. 

But first, and one of main reasons I like stopping at the visitor center first, I asked about dog-friendly hikes. Most National Parks don't allow dogs on hiking trails but occasionally, they have paths they are allowed on. The ranger told us about two dog-friendly hikes nearby and one was right behind the visitor center. So we decided to wear Callie down and do the hike first. It was only a mile round trip through the woods and along a small stream. Callie absolutely loved it. There were so many smells and the best part for her was there was small layer of snow at one portion. She went crazy running and playing in the snow. She even ran down to the stream for a drink of water. Normally she avoids water, but she went right in to drink. It was fun watching her and made me excited for snow this winter. 

Finally it was time to head to the lake to see the beauty everyone was talking about. The drive up definitely had more drop offs than my mom wanted, but it was beautiful. We finally got to the lake and understood why everyone raved about this place. It was incredible. Pictures and words can't do it justice. The water was crystal blue (it is the deepest lake in the US). It really was a "crater" filled with water with a small island and some interesting rock formations. It was stunning in every direction. We hit most of the pull overs to enjoy the different views and even enjoyed our lunch from one of the view points. There were plenty of hiking options too, but I wasn't feeling well enough to give any of them a try. I cannot say enough about this place. You have to visit if you can. Take a whole day and enjoy every different view, do a hike, and make sure to watch the video to get more amazed by the formation.  This is definitely one of my favorite parks.

Here are just a few of the amazing views: