Day 6: Finishing Kilimanjaro

We were all so exhausted from the summit day that we all slept well (including me since I stopped taking my altitude meds). Getting up and going the next day was a little anticlimactic. Corinne and I had been taking notes every night to remember the details of the trip, but the notes ended on summit night. So everything from here on out is totally from memory. I appreciated the chocolate message I got the night we finished the climb (and yes I did bring Dove chocolates on the climb and my fingernails have elephants on them).



The guides rallied us in the morning to hurry up so we could meet all of the porters and get a group picture. No surprise, we were running late, but we paused so they could come say hi and get going themselves since they needed to sign out of camp and get going. They did quick intros and then sang for us. We had been trying to learn the Kilimanjaro song all week and I think Amanda is the only one who actually mastered it. It was fun hearing them all sing it. I have the video and will attach it as soon as the data is recovered from my hard drive (long story and why it will be awhile until my safari write up). The guides and porters made this trip possible and I cannot thank them enough. They helped wherever they could including carrying multiple bags on summit day. The porters were critical as I don't think any of us would have made it to the top carrying our own packs. They were great guys and normally seemed to be happy and smiling. Thank you!


Such a great group. Thanks Zara!


Kilimanjaro Song

SWAHILI
Jambo! Jambo bwana!
Habari gani? Mzuri sana!
Wageni, mwakaribishwa!
Kilimanjaro? Hakuna matata!

ENGLISH
Hello! Hello sir!
How are you? Very well!
Guests, you are welcome!
Kilimanjaro? No trouble!
Once we had breakfast, it was time for about 4 hours to the end of the hike where we would catch our bus back. It was an easier downhill hike than the previous day. It was through the rainforest and we were even able to catch a few glimpses of monkeys. We were all in pretty good spirits and feeling great (sleeping at lower altitude is very helpful). We finally reached the end! We were all so excited about the thought of a shower and resting the remainder of the day.

Last glimpse of the summit on the hike


Just one more mention of how incredible the porters are.




We did it! 100% success rate!



We figured we would check out quickly and be on our way, but we had to wait for about an hour in line to check out. Not sure what took so long, but that is ok. We were in good spirits and already reliving the hike and discussing the animals we would be seeing. On the way back to the hotel, we made a stop at a souvenir store. I bought a few more things (t-shirt, mug, and Hakuna Matata sticker) to remember the incredible journey. We had an hour bus ride back and then grabbed lunch with a celebratory Kilimanjaro beer. Following lunch, we met one last time with our guides so they could present us with our certificates stating that we made it to the summit.

Celebratory beer!

And it had to be a Kilimanjaro



The rest of the day was ours to enjoy. Showers were high on the priority list and so was resting. That shower might have been the greatest shower of my life. It was incredible how much dirt accumulates over 6 days that baby wipes can't get off.

A few of us had brought items to donate to the local kids. Our friend at the hotel took us down the street to the local orphanage so we could drop off the bubbles, chocolate, coloring books, sports balls, and other odds and ends. The kids were so excited and instantly started grabbing items from the table to enjoy. It is always nice to see kids smiling no matter what country you are in. They also loved having their pictures taken and then looking at them. I think we saw a few models in the making.






She definitely loved the camera and trying different poses.
Finally the day wrapped up with a relaxing dinner and drinks. Katie and Fred adventured into town to try the local cuisine, but the rest of us were either too tired or lazy to leave the hotel. I was definitely too lazy to work the logistics and just wanted to get some sleep (I was finally sleepy and a cold was coming on). The next adventure started at 8am the next morning so I wanted to be well rested to enjoy the animals.

Overall, this portion of the trip was incredible. I highly recommend climbing Kilimanjaro. The views, the sense of accomplishment, and the camaraderie was perfect. We all laughed a lot (maybe it was the altitude), fought through body issues, and made it to the top! We couldn't have asked for better weather (ok a little less wind at the top would have been nice). The guides and porters were wonderful. But honestly, I will not climb it again. This trip was too perfect. There is no way that I could have more fun if I tried to do it again. It is crossed off my bucket list and I am on to the next amazing adventure.

Also the safari portion is coming, but I need to have the experts save the data from my hard drive. So the rest of the details on the trip are coming and will be so worth the wait. I loved climbing Kilimanjaro but I almost equally enjoyed the safari portion.