My Intro to Backpacking

May and June were busy for me. I spent almost two weeks in Norway and Sweden and then finished June with a backpacking trip through the Colorado Rockies. Somehow in two months, I spent all of my vacation, but I loved every minute of it.

I will get back to my review of Norway and Sweden, but the hike is fresh on my mind. Given how much I search travel trips, travel blogs, and fun outdoor spots, Facebook recommended the Fjällräven Classic USA hike. I took one look and was sold. It is a 3 day backpacking trip through the Rocky Mountains, but with some support. I will be backpacking the Grand Canyon in October and thought this would be perfect practice to ensure I know what I am doing. So my friend and I signed up for the Fjällräven Classic USA 2018 hike.


Backpacking 

Backpacking is intimidating. I have done several overnight hikes including the Inca Trail and Kilimanjaro, but I had porters for these hikes. Backpacking doesn't include a porter. You have to carry everything you need for the hike. My friend had struggled on her first backpacking trip a few weeks before our trip so that made me even more nervous. I searched lots of blogs, found the perfect packing list, and went to a class at REI about making your pack lighter. Everything you read says to carry no more than 20% of your body weight and my goal was under that.

I ended up with the following list:
·     65L backpack with pack cover 
·     Sleeping bag
·     Sleeping pad
·     Tent and footprint
·     Bag to hold snacks/food
·     Snacks/Food
·     Hiking poles
·     Long handled spoon (recommended by REI for eating from Mountain House bags)
·     Headlamp
·     Sunscreen/Chap Stick
·     Sunglasses
·     Bug spray
·     Map/compass (Friend had this)
·     First Aid Kit
·     Stove (Friend had this)
·     Matches (Not needed with the stove we had and our fuel was provided by the hike)
·     Multi-tool/knife (Friend had this)
·     Water bottles or water reservoir 
·     Inflatable pillow
·     Pot for cooking
·     Water filter (Provided by the hike)
·     Quick-dry small towel 
·     Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, medicines, baby wipes, deodorant)
·     Clothing (Sleeping top and bottom, extra pair of socks, bathing suit, underwear for each day)
·     Long sleeve shirt or puffy coat (ended up with both)
·     Solar charger and iphone charge cord
·     Hand sanitizer
·     Toilet paper
·     Warm Hat
·     Gloves
·     Buff
·     Baseball Hat
·     Flip flops 

What I will be wearing when I start hike
·     Hiking pants (can roll up)
·     Tank top and t shirt
·     Sports bra
·     Hiking Boots
·     Socks
·     Fitbit

My full pack! Yes, I need to stand up straighter next time (but look at the scenery...wow)

I am happy to say that this list worked really well. My pack with food and water ended up right around 30lbs, which was my goal. I am even happier that I will split the weight of my 2 person tent for the Grand Canyon. I probably smelled horrible by the end of the hike given I wore the same clothes the whole hike, but I was thrilled to save weight.

Lesson Learned: Do not bring more than you need. The only things I didn't use were the warm hat, gloves, and rain jacket. Thankfully they were all light items. My "wants" that I brought included my iPad for reading and my inflatable pillow. I don't regret taking either of these and will be doing it again in October.

Lesson Learned: Cut out the packaging if you can. The packaging just adds unnecessary weight. I wrapped my medications in saran wrap instead of bringing the pill bottle you get at the pharmacy. I limited the packaging for my tent and only brought the outside slip. All weight cut is a good thing.

Lesson Learned: Ensure your water reservoir doesn't leak. I have been struggling with mine on and off for a year or two and just assumed it would work. It really didn't like being smashed against my stuffed backpack and I ended up with a lot of water on the pack and my back.

Lesson Learned: Sunscreen is your friend. We loaded up often and I am so thankful because the Colorado sun is intense at altitude.

Lesson Learned: Try not to start the hike tired. We flew in the night before and didn't get into the hotel until 11pm (which was 1am our time). Sadly I don't think I will learn this lesson since I think we will have a short night before the hike for the Grand Canyon.

Lesson Learned: Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Especially at altitude. On day 2, we were tired and didn't want to walk to get extra water and that was a mistake. Hydration is more important at altitude than pretty much anything else.

Lesson Learned: Coordinated/supported backpacking hikes are amazing. My next post will describe the amazing Fjallraven Classic USA experience, but I am pretty sure I won't get pancakes with Nutella when hiking on my own.