Peru Travels

I try to do at least one adventure every year.  I started this once I graduated from college and decided I want to see the world.  There is so much out there and I would love to see it all. Since I don't have unending money, I have to pick and choose my future fun.

My crazy hour job ended on Halloween so I wanted to reward myself with a fun trip.  Since it was November, most places in the Northern Hemisphere were too cold.  So looking south led to Machu Picchu.  Several of us had talked about hiking the Inca Trail so it seemed like the perfect time.

We decided to go with SAS Travel and booked the trip.  This is the point where we all should have started getting in shape for the hike.  I somehow managed to tear the meniscus in my knee again, so the month before the hike, even walking at times was hard.  The week leading into the hike was horrible since I was limping everywhere.  I was definitely stressing and preparing for the worst.  My worst case scenario was starting the hike and finding out it wasn't possible.  If that happened, a porter would bring me into town where I could train to Aguas Calientes and I would spend the rest of the hike in a hotel and the hot springs.  I really didn't want this to happen but I had determined that a day of hot springs wasn't a horrible second option.

After buying way too much gear (Thanks REI) and coming up with a back up plan, it was finally time for the trip.  6 of us were going and 4 of us were going to stop in Panama on the way back to enjoy the beach and see the Canal.  We planned to have two full days in Cusco to acclimate to the altitude.  It is a very cute town that I wish we had more time to explore.  Due to the flights into Cusco, we had to red eye meaning you arrive in town exhausted.  We grabbed a delicious lunch and then crashed for a short nap before exploring again.  Sadly Euge got altitude sickness and spent most of the two days in bed. We finished with a nice dinner (I tried Alpaca and didn't like it).

Day two in Cusco brought exploring.  We were going to check out the local ruins but found the price a little steep.  Instead we ended up on a horseback ride.  I haven't been horseback riding in years so it was an experience, especially when I was watching the weight on my knee.  We found some ruins, tunnels, and beautiful views.  I had a blast!

I made it up but definitely needed help. Oh yeah and I was definitely uncomfortable

Fun times and beautiful views

The gang enjoying the view
We actually rock climbed out of  this cave. 


When in Peru, you need to try guinea pig, especially when traveling with a chef.  Ray found a great restaurant known for good guinea pig.  I enjoyed the chicken dishes but did try guinea pig.  I found it hard to eat since they served it whole.  Overall it was a wonderful lunch.

They did cut it for us after the photo shoot
We ended our time in Cusco exploring the markets and square.  We didn't buy much but it was fun to look.  The square is cute and I wish we had more time to explore.  I highly recommend 3 days in Cusco or spending more time there after the hike.  That was our one regret.  Also none of us drank or tried street food to try to avoid altitude sickness or just plain sickness.  I know a few of us would have liked a drink in Cusco.

The main square

View from near our hotel

Cusco from above

The final thing of the day is the SAS pre-hike meeting.  We met our two guides and the entire group.  They went over each days hike and what to expect.  It just builds excitement and nerves.  Off to the last night in a bed for a few nights.

More to come on the hike.