Weekend with Dad

So dad was out in Annapolis for work this week so he came down to spend the weekend with me. I knew we were going to wineries which is always fun and I was hoping to get him out running since he is doing the Disney half with me.

I did convince him to run twice this weekend! I have a 2.6 mile loop around the neighborhood that was perfect. We took Callie on Saturday and after realizing she shouldn't lead (after almost taking out my dad), we let my dad lead. He set the pace at 10 min miles and we all kept pace. Callie is a wonderful runner once she settles in and she becomes focused and determined. This run didn't seem to bother her at all. Dad and I also survived without too much knee pain, which was great. Sundays run was a little slower and dog less. Callie was exhausted from Saturday's events, so she didn't seem up to a run. Dad set the pace again and we went a little slower. He wanted to try to learn how to run at a slower than 10 min pace and we determined he can. We also determined he needed new shoes so we hit that up on the way to the airport. Now hopefully he can run in new, cushiony shoes (that aren't 3.5 years old).

Now on to the wineries....

My dad and I always go to wineries when he visits. It has become our bonding trips. He collects glasses from each too and we try to keep track and visit new ones. I found a wine book last year that allows you to keep labels and notes on the wines so that is our new tracker. Each winery gave us a label so from here on out, we are tracking.

Winery 1...Desert Rose
Amazing! We loved this winery. It is dog friendly in the tasting room (always a huge plus for me). We were out of gas when we got there since it is in the middle of nowhere and we asked immediately for directions and we had two different people come help us figure out where to go. They were super helpful. We went to get gas while waiting for Holly and went back for the tasting. We enjoyed almost all of the wines. Even better than the wines though were the names and stories behind each. They definitely had fun naming the wines and it showed. Highlights...two very good Chardonnays, a wonderful dessert wine (which I bought) and a dessert port that they served with chocolate ice cream (which dad bought).  They had a wonderful indoor seating, outdoor seating, and a wooded picnic area by the horses. I really recommend this place. We loved everything about it.

http://desertrosewinery.com/

Winery 2...Chester Gap
We went to this one because we were told it was dog friendly (in the tasting room) and beautiful views. It was a 90 degree day so we wanted to ensure Callie and Leo could come inside with us. The review was correct, the views were beautiful and the dogs could go into the tasting room. It was hard to see the sign and we missed the turnoff twice, but the views once on the driveway were great. The wine was lacking. Holly, my dad, and I have very different tastes in wine but none of us liked these wines. They are young wines so maybe they will develop more later. Sadly, I wouldn't recommend this winery.

http://www.chestergapcellars.com/

Winery 3...Winding Road
We really enjoyed this winery. They allowed the pups in the tasting room which again was clutch for a hot day. They were out of the two sweet wines which was sad for me but we did enjoy most of the wines. The red wines were not as complex, which was great for me since I prefer white wines. The people were wonderful and fun. My dad and I go to wineries for the experience more than the wines so this ranked high for us. We enjoyed a glass while eating cheese and crackers and really enjoyed finishing the day here. I would recommend visiting here.

http://windingroadcellars.com/

It was a great weekend with dad and I can't wait for him to return hopefully in October to enjoy wineries in the fall.