Was I hit by a truck?

"Epic 20/120 Weekend"

So this was the Team Z Ironman epic training weekend.  You run 20 miles (or three hours) on Saturday and turn around and bike 120 on Sunday.  I remember this weekend last year for Cozumel prep and it is exhausting but it does truly make you feel ready.

This year of course isn't the same story.  I haven't run a step in over two months, so obviously I didn't run for three hours.  My run training has been a mix of twice on the elliptical (both times for 20 minutes and one of those times was today), twice aqua jogging, and three speed walks.  While in Denver, I walked the city for 3.5 miles and I walked 2 miles with my dad at home.  None of this adds up to 26.2 miles running.

So for my "epic" walk, I met some teammates and watched them run ahead.  I started my speed walk.  It was three miles out to Mt Vernon and back to my car and go from there to hopefully add more miles.  My goal was to hit at least 10 miles.  I accomplished my goal but it wasn't pretty.  My first mile started at a crazy 12:20 pace but then progressively got slower.  I never felt out of shape cardio-wise, but by mile 8, my legs were tired.  I push two more miles but my pace was up near 14 min miles now.  I finished with a 1/2 mile cool down.

I am not a runner, but I cannot wait to get back to it.  Nothing like being passed by everyone on the trail (occasionally I passed normal walkers) and not being able to do anything about it.  I had music going for the whole 2 hours and 10 minutes but walking gets boring.  I am used to running with my friends and yes, we get tired but have each other to push us on.  I think that is the hardest thing about my injury so far is losing my training partners.

Sunday was the "epic" 120 mile ride.  I woke up at 4:40 and couldn't move.  My back, ankles, shin, knee, and arms hurt.  Yes...this all hurt from speed walking.  I now know why you aren't supposed to add lots of miles from week to week.  I hurt bad but no questioning that, time to hit the road with my two teammates in my new car (I LOVE IT)!

I think the hardest part of my injury is realizing my bike ability isn't the same.  I was very proud at how hard I had worked all winter on my bike and the last 80 mile ride I did before surgery, I averaged 19 mph with my friends.  This ride I knew I would have to watch my riding partners leave before me.  I just can't keep up yet.  After a year of riding with the same people, it is hard to let them go.

The ride called for a 75 mile loop and a 45 mile loop.  I knew I couldn't do 120 because my longest consecutive ride was 57 miles.  My goal for the day became ride between 90-100 or until I felt knee pain.  I am very happy to say, there was no knee pain.  The first 75 miles felt pretty good after I got into it mentally.  I even got to tag along with my former riding buddies for the last 20 miles of the loop since I skipped the pit stop.  It is great riding with my "new" group though and enjoy their company with them.

At the end of the first loop, it was getting hot.  My legs were tired, my body was overheating.  I am very happy to say that I think I did well on nutrition though.  I am praying Wisconsin will not be 95 degrees!  I decided to do 10 miles out and back for my second loop.  I got to ride out 10 miles with friends and 10 miles back alone.  The last ten miles was hard!  The wind was intense, the heat was crazy, and my legs were screaming.  I added 40 miles to my longest ride since surgery and they were letting me know that.  I did survive though.  I have now conquered 95 miles (and at a 17.3 average)!

It was a crazy weekend.  My body today feels like I was hit by a truck.  Everything hurts except my knees (knock on wood).  The sad thing is, I am not going to learn from this weekend since I will repeat it next weekend.  While my team starts to taper, I am going to continue adding miles.  The goal this weekend is to walk at least 13 miles and bike at least 90 (would prefer 100).

Thanks to Team Z for a great weekend. I love the support out there and can't wait to provide the support for people next year.