Good Day = Pain

So I think today is one of the best days I have had recently regarding my knee.  The day started with a great swim.  I have made myself get up for every swim recently since that is about the only workout that I can do.  So yes, I wake up at 4:45 Tuesday and Thursday mornings to swim for an hour.  The fun thing about my swimming right now is that I can't kick or push off the wall (darn knee).  So it is an hour of my arms pulling me through the water.  Today I worked really hard on form, which is a great thing and I do think I felt improvement, but it also means my arms are sore!  My friend even commented that my arms are going to be huge before my legs are back.  After a great swim, I was off to PT.

My goal was to walk into PT and ask them to push me more.  I am almost 4 weeks into PT and not much has changed.  I always start PT with 10 minutes of stem to get my muscles moving.  My inner quad muscle was actually working today and the PT was even amazed by it.  The girl I worked with today was there on my first visit a week after surgery.  She saw me and smiled today and immediately said that I was walking better.  I know I am, but always good to hear a doctor say that.  After stem, there is 10-15 minutes of what I call torture.  I lay on the table and she forces my knee to bend.  Today was by far the most torture because she was getting it to bend farther than before.  Imagine intense pain that pretty much continues for 10 minutes straight and that is how my knee feels.  I pretty much get to the point where I am almost about to scream.  Then the rest of therapy is good.  I get to bike for 10 minutes (no problem...have built up to 30 min at home) and then do strength exercises.  I got to add weight today to the hip exercises.  I finish with some wonderful ice.  My therapist was very encouraged by the work today and told me I am doing everything possible to help my recovery.  Always a good thing to hear!

I always say being sore is great because it means I worked new muscles.  Well I guess the afternoon was a good thing because my knee is SORE!  I am so excited to get home and lay on my couch with ice.  I made dinner last night with leftovers for tonight so off to the couch to enjoy a lazy night. At least I am making progress and hoping to bike 3 miles outside with my team on Thursday!  Cross your fingers my doctor gives me permission cause I miss riding on the roads!

Not much can beat the bike ride in Cozumel but I would be so excited for 3 miles around a loop in DC!